Donate Now

Get in touch

Green Philanthropy Fund

Green Philanthropy Fund

The Green Philanthropy Fund was established to accelerate positive environmental change in Waitaha Canterbury.  


Canterbury’s diverse ecosystems support a thriving rural sector and create incredible opportunities for recreation and visitation. Cantabrians are passionate about our whenua (land), awa (water) and rerenga rauropi (biodiversity). As we look to the future, ensuring our ecosystems thrive is critically important.  


We believe that future thinking must be applied to achieve more quickly and have established this fund to help support the innovators in Canterbury. Our goal is to make it easier for businesses and individuals to give to science-led innovation, and to increase the pool of funding available to those individuals and groups striving to improve and protect our ecosystems. 
  
Less than 4% of the money gifted in New Zealand last year went towards the environment.  


The fund will support: 

  • Projects that will make a proven ecological impact.   
  • Innovative ideas that could be game-changing in tackling climate issues and building climate resilience.  
  • Individuals and organisations leading ecological support and protection.   
      

The fund is backed by a partnership between Environment Canterbury and The Christchurch Foundation, which covers administration costs, which means every dollar raised will go to the fund. The partnership is a long-term commitment to support evidence-based projects and organisations, across all ecosystems in Waitaha Canterbury.  
  
Donations can be made to the fund below.

80% of the Funds raised annually will be distributed the following year, the other 20% will be used to build an endowment fund. These funds will be invested with the income generated split. Some will be distributed annually, the remainder reinvested to grow the equity in the fund.  

A panel of technical experts from across Waitaha Canterbury will advise the Foundation on what projects and organisations to back.

Calling for Applications - Distribution Committee

We are now seeking applications for up to four passionate, expert environmental volunteers to form a Distribution Committee. The successful applicants will form the committee that selects what projects we will back via an online portal and advise the Foundation’s Trustees and staff which green projects to fund. 
  
You will work alongside the Fund Ambassador (Andy Ellis), a representative from mana whenua; Christchurch Foundation Chief Executive and a Christchurch Foundation Trustee.  
  
These are voluntary positions, and the tenure is set at three years with a maximum of two terms excluding the Fund Ambassador and Christchurch Foundation Chief Executive. This role can be based anywhere in Aotearoa (New Zealand) and will be approximately 6 hours work every 6 months. 
  

For more information please visit https://brannigans.co.nz/jobs/?ja-job=536869


03 Gin 


Looking to buy our 03Gin? Head over to 03GIN.nz for more information. 

This is another way to donate to this fund. All of the profits from sales go into this fund and you get to learn more about our special ecosystems.

Port Hills Fire Regeneration

Port Hills Fire Regeneration

In response to the 2024 Port Hills fire this fund has been established to assist with the regeneration of endemic natives in the impacted area.

There is scientific evidence that natives are more fire resistant and can significantly contribute to the resilience and protection of at-risk ecosystems and communities.

The funds raised will be actively managed by The Christchurch Foundation and distributed with support of the Banks Peninsula Conservation Trust and Te Kākahu Kahukura. These two reputable entities are already working in the impacted area and have extensive experience in the establishment of native plants in a best practice manner with participating landowners (private/public and charitable).

Funding could be applied not only to securing new plants but could also include pest management, weeding and other activities to support the regeneration of the area safely.

The intent is to help increase the fire protection on the port hills as well as also increasing the biodiversity of the area.

Donate Now

Women's Giving Circle

Women's Giving Circle

Join our giving circle to support women and girls in Christchurch, Selwyn and Waimakariri. A giving circle is a form of collective giving whereby a group of people pool their individual donations and then jointly decide how and where the funds should be distributed. Individually each contribution makes an impact, but jointly it is amplified having a much greater impact in the community.

Membership